The Birthday Club


I like my birthday. I am one of those people who reminds everyone for the month before and then the week after that I was born on a certain day of the year and they should care.

I also like giving things to people. This is slightly antithetical to the popular idea that most people have about birthdays. My favorite birthday ever was one year where a friend had us over in Brooklyn, and a few of us, including me, cooked dinner for everyone else. I felt relaxed and happy, and I was glad that these people were willing to share this day with me. So this year, I decided I wanted to give people I know things for my birthday. Specifically, books.

So, I've decided to start THE BIRTHDAY CLUB. I couldn't think of a better name for it, and I like the simplicity of it. The idea is that, I will have a small group of people who are a part of my Birthday Club and then maybe others will like my idea, and they can have their own Birthday Club and really, in the end, it will be one big Birthday Club. I think I just like saying Birthday Club over and over and over-- Here are the rules.

YOU CAN TALK ABOUT THE RULES OF BIRTHDAY CLUB WHENEVER YOU WANT--

  • Get in touch with me. Say you want to join my birthday club. I'm accessible via email or via comment on this thing or via twitter or via facebook. My email is kimberlyannjosephine [AT] gmail [DOT] com--
  • I would really prefer that I "know" you in one way or another-- we can be internet friends, sure, but if you are a stranger, I am not sure I want to be exchanging mail with you necessarily.
  • I will give you my address, and you will send me one book that you think I should read.
  • In return, I will send you one book that I think you should read, so please make sure you include your address either when you send me a book or in your initial email.
  • Used books are totally cool--
  • We both will read the books the other has sent us, and we'll be happy.

So that's that. MY BIRTHDAY IS MARCH 26TH. I will accept and send books in return all month. I like exposing people to things that both are great and also things I think that particular person will like. I think this is part of the reason I enjoy being an editor, for sure. Being able to buy others books for my birthday will be a great way to me to fulfill this in ways I don't get to do with Gigantic Sequins-- as, when I am putting the journal together, I am not catering it to be loved by one person, for example. I don't mind if you want to send me a copy of a book that YOU wrote, as long as it's great, but I won't be sending out any copies of Gigantic Sequins as my return book. (Not that I *wrote* Gigantic Sequins, but you get what I mean.)

Please let me know if you'd like to help me have the best birthday ever! Thanks.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Giveaway!

Saying Farewell to a Writer and Friend: David Markson

1 lady + 3 gentlemen = 4 books bought