but first...

there is a first time for everything. this is the first week since i began weekly to blog my book purchases from the strand where i work that i haven't broken any self-imposed book-buying rules. i also only bought two books.

i might write more about mens' ncaa basketball tomorrow, but today this post will be short and about the books i bought today. i am feeling a bit under the weather. i did not get a lot of sleep last night. my birthday was thursday and fun. justin left today to go back to boston. all of the bands are booked for our boston release at All Asia on tuesday, april 28th. we will post all of the information for that very soon.

Rothenberg, Jerome and Pierre Joris. Poems for the Millennium: Volume 2, From Postwar to Millennium. Berkley, CA: University of California Press, 1998. [paperback]

Last week I bought volume 1 and 3 of these excellent poetry anthologies, so by purchasing this one I am all caught up, I now own each of them that has already been published. I wonder if they have more planned. I checked on the University of California Press website and it looks like they do a series called the Poets of the Millenium, but it is individual poets rather than anthologies. Those books look interesting, too, but I wonder if the writers published in those are already present in these rather lengthy volumes I now own.

Kureishi, Hanif. Something to Tell You. New York: Scribner, 2008. [hardcover]

This was my dollar book steal-of-the-day. I bought it because my Special-Project advisor at NYU, Robert J. C. Young recommended I read up on Kureishi in order to have a modern British novelist to compare to Zadie Smith. Something to Tell You is his latest book, and I wager not his greatest. I read the first ten pages of it before I fell asleep on the Q train on my way home today, and already not so deep into it, the novels characters have had discussions about high culture, popular culture and the overlap of the two, especially when concerning the outlook of today's younger generation. Though so far (yes, ten pages in,) the narrative style isn't thrilling, I am at least interested in these discussions of culture. Kureishi is known for his book The Buddha of Suburbia. He also has a novel called The Black Album that I want to at least see a copy of merely because it shares the title with a Jay-Z album.



"April comes like an idiot babbling and spewing flowers" ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

Soon, it will be April and I can update you on the books I've read this month. In April, I try to write a poem a day. I don't believe that I will be posting them online, though. I do think, though, that I will also try to read a poem a day. Maybe I will write about that instead.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Poetry Giveaway!

Saying Farewell to a Writer and Friend: David Markson

1 lady + 3 gentlemen = 4 books bought